Dog with red collar exploring a grassy yard by Photo 148658556 © Yakeyault | Dreamstime.com

 

Dogs are always on the lookout for a tasty snack!

WHAT’S IN YOUR YARD?

Unfortunately they often mistake poisonous plants, reptiles or discarded trash as something lick-able or ingestible.

How do you tell if your pet has been poisoned? What do you do when time is of the essence and a vet isn’t handy? Read on…

 

PET POISIONING INFORMATION & TREATMENTS

Dogs are curious creatures always sniffing around and poking their noses into everything. Sniffs can lead to licks and tastes which may result in gastro-intestinal upset or worse.  Many common foods, household substances and plants are toxic to dogs and can lead to accidental poisoning requiring immediate medical attention.  

Poisons can work FAST, do you have the necessary knowledge and Pet First Aid supplies to save your pet’s life if the Veterinarian is not readily accessible? 

WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUSPECT POISONING

First, determine if your pet is exhibiting the signs or symptoms of poisoning.

Common symptoms of pet poisoning:

  • -Vomiting
  • -Diarrhea
  • -Excessive drooling or panting
  • -Rapid Heartbeat
  • -Lack of coordination
  • -Weakness/lethargy
  • -Collapse or Seizure
  • -Excessive thirst/urination
  • -Unusual behavior

Second, determine what and how much your pet has ingested or been exposed to? Be prepared to share this information with your Vet or Poison Control. 

Save the package or take a picture to share with your Vet if possible.

Most common toxins for pets:

  • Over the Counter Medications
  • Human prescriptions
  • Human Food: Xylitol (sweetener), Chocolate, Onions, Avocado, Grapes, Raisins, Garlic.
  • Veterinary Products and Medications
  • Coolant and Antifreeze
  • Insecticides and Fertilizers
  • Cannabis 
  • Household cleaners
  • Rubbish 
  • Plants: African Violet, Aloe plant, Mushrooms

Third, your pet has eaten a toxin and is exhibiting symptoms of poisoning.  What should you do?

Treatment:

  1. Rinse or wipe the mouth out with water.
  2. Call your veterinarian.
  3. Call Poison Control – 1-888-426-4435. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) takes calls regarding pet poisoning any hour of the day or night, and any day of the year including weekends and holidays.
  4. Induce vomiting if indicated.
  5. Wash the paws and skin with gentle soap and water to reduce the chance of systemic absorption.

Fourth, depending on what your pet ate, the Vet or Poison Control may recommend induced vomiting.  How do you Induce Vomiting?

Use a syringe without a needle, eyedropper or squirt gun to administer one of the following:

  1. Hydrogen Peroxide: Administer 1 milliliter (.20 tsp) per pound of weight, 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, by mouth. Usually immediately effective but can be repeated after 5 minutes.  DO NOT USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ON CATS!

  2. Salt: Administer 1 teaspoon Salt, diluted in water, by mouth.  Varied effectiveness.  Can repeat after 5 minutes if needed.

  3. Syrup of Ipecac: Administer 1 teaspoon of Syrup of Ipecac per 10 lbs weight. Usually works in 15-20 minutes. Can repeat every 4 hours if needed.

If you can’t reach your Vet or poison control, do NOT induce vomiting if:

  1. Dog is unconscious.
  2. Ingested caustic substances like battery acid, detergent, oven cleaner, and floor wax.
  3. It has been more than 3 hours since the ingestion of poison.

Last, but not least, be prepared!

When your pet is injured or suffering from poisoning, adrenaline is pumping and it’s easy to become flustered and forgetful. MPA offers comprehensive, easy to use First Aid Kits for Pets that contain packages of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to induce vomiting.  By having a kit at home, in your car or in your backpack when hiking or camping, you will be prepared to address accidental poisoning wherever you are. 

All MPA First Aid Kits for Pets were developed and packaged by our team of medics who were trained in emergency veterinary medicine using frontline dogs.  Trust your Pet to MPA.

Tip: Print out this valuable information and treatment options and store inside your Pet First Aid Kit!